Petrona Remembered: A Prize-Winning Book



Today’s entry appears on the website Petrona Remembered, here.


I always say the same thing when the question of Maxine comes up, but that doesn’t make it any less true: I didn’t know Maxine Clarke, Petrona, for long, but she made a big impression on me. She was kind and generous and very welcoming to a new blogger – she was part of a group of crime fiction fans who very kindly invited me into their circle. The others are friends to this day, and we all miss Maxine, who should still be here.


So I am always very glad to contribute to the website created in her memory, and feel particularly honoured that this time I am doing a book chosen for Maxine – but also the book that won this year’s Petrona prize in her memory.





Where Roses Never Die

by Gunnar Staalesen

(Published 2016.Translated from Norwegian by Don Bartlett).



To read my review, head over to the Petrona Remembered website – and do take a look at the other reviews listed while you are there. The site is a treasure trove of recommendations for good books.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Moira, for contributing! You wrote an excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going crazy, I thought you had already done a post on this book. Oh well, maybe it was only your comment on Bernadette's blog that I saw. Anyway, I had already read your post this morning and it is a lovely review. I will definitely try to find something by this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy - no, pretty sure I hadn't! But I did read it a few weeks ago, and as you say I commented on Reactions to Reading. You should definitely try this author - although, as I say, 19 books!

      Delete
  3. Moira: I am glad you were able to contribute to Petrona Remembered and am headed over to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - Petrona Remembered is such a good project.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed another one of his recent books, but doubt I'll be rushing to read much more from him. I've kind of gone off the Scandi-trope. For now at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might come back to it -I did read your review, and thought I might try that one next. It did seem that this was the point where our tastes might collide, so I will encourage you to read another one, some time or other!

      Delete
  5. Very good review,Moira. I agree with it and also with your characterization of Bernadette's blog and her reviews. I've read many books based on her recommendations -- and in the reverse, avoided books she criticized.

    I have read that the next book in Staalesen's series is quite good. I will read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernadette is one of the best reviewers, and one whose taste very much matches mine, so reliable for me! I'm glad you agree. And yes, I will certainly read more by him.

      Delete
  6. P.S. Maxine Clarke did like Staalesen's books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment