Christmas Day: The Baby in the Cradle

 

A Cradle Song By William Blake



Christmas Day


Sweet dreams form a shade
O'er my lovely infant's head;
Sweet dreams of pleasant streams
By happy, silent, moony beams.



Sweet sleep with soft down
Weave thy brows an infant crown.
Sweet sleep, Angel mild,
Hover o'er my happy child.


Sweet smiles in the night
Hover over my delight;
Sweet smiles, Mother's smiles,
All the livelong night beguiles.


Sweet moans, dovelike sighs,
Chase not slumber from thy eyes.
Sweet moans, sweeter smiles,
All the dovelike moans beguiles.


Sleep sleep, happy child,
All creation slept and smil'd;
Sleep sleep, happy sleep,
While o'er thee thy mother weep.


Sweet babe, in thy face
Holy image I can trace.
Sweet babe, once like thee,
Thy maker lay and wept for me,


Wept for me for thee for all,
When he was an infant small.
Thou his image ever see.
Heavenly face that smiles on thee,


Smiles on thee on me on all,
Who became an infant small,
Infant smiles are His own smiles,
Heaven & earth to peace beguiles.



A Happy Christmas to all blog readers


The picture, courtesy of the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, shows a 15th century altarpiece from the workshop of Andrea della Robbia.

Comments

  1. A lovely choice of poem for the day, Moira! Happy Christmas to you and those you love, and all the best for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, and the same to you and yours...

      Delete
  2. A lovely poem, Moira. A happy Christmas to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, and I hope you and yours are enjoying the festive season.

      Delete
  3. A belated Merry Christmas to you, Moira. I wish you a lifetime of success and happiness. I love reading classical poetry — it makes me feel good in a way I can't explain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prashant, and the same to you and your family. I know what you mean about poetry...

      Delete

Post a Comment