Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson


published 1947

translated from German by Damion Searls 2010



Comedy in a Minor Key 2


[WW2, Rotterdam. Nico, a perfume salesman, is being hidden by Marie and Wim. Marie’s sister Coba comes over]

Coba and Nico were on a first-name basis right away. She was in her late 20s. The next time she brought him new books in English and French, detective novels and others.

‘When this is all over, Nico, Marie and I get a lifetime supply of perfume from you, agreed?’

Nuit de Paris. Romance for the lady in the evening…’

‘Not just in the evening, Nico, I’m a lady all day long - ’

He went on: ‘Violetta, Sans-Gene for afternoons, and some mornings, for fashion shows…’

‘I’ve never been to a fashion show myself,’ Marie said.

The names that used to waft from his lips, sleek and melodious like magic formulas, now sounded perfectly ordinary and strangely fresh, unused. They too once were, and one day would be again.
‘Just a drop behind the ear, Marie. Perfume is the visiting card of the lady!’

They laughed. And Nico laughed along with them!


Comedy in a Minor Key 1


commentary: Francine Prose reviewed this book in the New York Times, and her opening seemed ideal for me too:
For busy, harried or distractible readers who have the time and energy only to skim the opening paragraph of a review, I’ll say this as quickly and clearly as possible: “The Death of the Adversary” and “Comedy in a Minor Key” are masterpieces, and Hans Keilson is a genius.
I haven’t read Death of the Adversary, but I’m sure she’s right because I agree with her so strongly about Comedy in a Minor Key.

I came across this book over at Col’s Criminal Library, and I ordered it straightaway on Col’s reco, though it has taken me a while to get round to it.

It’s a very short book, a novella really, and looks at the lives of a Dutch couple, Wim and Marie, living in Rotterdam during the Second World War. The Netherlands is occupied by the Nazis, and they have agreed to hide a Jewish man Nico, who would otherwise be in danger. We know from the beginning that Nico has died, and the couple and their helpers will have to decide how to dispose of the body. While they consider this, the narrative takes us back over the days that he lived with them – I’m not sure, I think it might be about a year. They were all kind and polite to each other, although occasionally there are complications and issues. There are all kinds of things you might not think of – what about the cleaning lady, what about the amount of food being consumed, will the situation look suspicious to outsiders? What if they are asked by someone else to hide a refugee? – they can’t admit they already have one.

They find out something about the network of people doing the same, and about the dangers.

The book is charming and full of warmth, despite the serious and bleak content. It’s a book that shows you the dark side of life, but then keeps you going by showing the small kindnesses of life, the humanity, and the way people will help each other.

The people in the book become tremendously real. This is Marie:
She had secretly imagined what it would be like on liberation day, the three of them arm in arm walking out of their house. Everyone would see right away what he was from his pale face… How the neighbours and everyone on the street would look up when he suddenly walked out of their house and strolled up and down the street with them. It would give them a little sense of satisfaction, and everyone who makes a sacrifice needs a little sense of satisfaction. And then you’d feel that you personally, even if only just a little bit, had won the war.

Comedy in a Minor Key 3

This is a five-star book.

Hans Keilson was a German Jew who escaped to the Netherland, where he lived in hiding for a time. His parents died at Auschwitz.

The perfume bottle is a French antique and held Nuits de Paris.

The top b/w photo from the Dutch National Archives shows Queen Wilhelmina opening a shelter for sailors in 1941.

The second b/w photo, same source, shows, exactly, Liberation Day in Amsterdam. Sadly, this event was not the happy moment it should have been: these people are headed for Dam Square where German troops opened fire at the celebrating masses: 22 people were killed, 120 injured.






























Comments

  1. This does sound fantastic, Moira. I remember reading about it over at Col's, but I hadn't gotten to it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it. What really appeals to me is the look at everyday life. I even like that detail about perfume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Margot, it's lovely isn't it? so real - and the whole book is like that.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very good though depressing, Moira. I don't know how I missed Col's review. I will have to be on the lookout for both books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now it might sound like a downer but it really isn't depressing Tracy! Just a lovely book.

      Delete
  3. Must read this, Moira! Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually, you should! I think you will truly appreciate it. And it is short...

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it. When we get settled and I recover my tubs, I'll have to try something else by him. Have you hoovered up his other books yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh have you got more? No I haven't yet, but should, I will take a look. And thanks again for the reco. I still have never come across the book anywhere else.

      Delete
  5. Love the extracts and the whole book sounds very appealing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment